©2012 PerryJoseph.com

1.31.2008

Eleutheria -- Home to Legend Lenny Kravitz

My life is perfect
Because I accept it
as it is
The sunshine is shining
Because it is what it is

What a beautiful feeling it's bringing
All the birds in the sky are singing
Eleutheria
Lenny Kravitz

How cool would it be to listen to Lenny jam at the local digs in Gregory Town? You can bet I'm going to inquire as to whether he's gigging while I'm on island. Love this man's style, his attitude, and most of all, his talent for playing the git. Love your stuff, Dude! I make sure the pod has some of your tunes on it before I make the trip.

Best friend and locally famous musician Ralph Butler and I were driving through Pineapple Town one afternoon and came upon a street party right in the middle of town. We could hear the thump of no less than a 1000 watts from the outskirts of town -- and we know our wattage when we hear it. We thought for sure we were going to get lucky and find Mr. Kravitz in the middle of all the blare, but turns out it was a weekend record spin. A cool experience nonetheless.

The home of Kravitz knows how to do it right -- loves stacking speaker boxes 10' high and cranking it up. And unlike many of the Bahamian "boxes" I've heard over the years that sound like there's not much left of the cone in the speaker box, these folks do it right, clean, 60 hertz clear as an earthquake. Ralph and I bummed because we had a date to make and couldn't stop to check out the jam. We still talk about it and vow next time we're stopping no matter.

I've seen L.K. at North Eleuthera airport several times -- tooling around in his jeep either picking up or dropping someone off -- always smiling. God bless you, Lenny! You're living the good life. Somebody's got to do it and you da' right man for the gig because you dig it sincerely.

We're going to give it another chance this trip. My wife and her pal have talked about trying to catch L.K. The girls say they know where he hangs. Scary thought they've done the homework. Think I'll just be in the way?

Now how hip would that be? Oceanside on Eleuthera listening to rock written in the key of freedom?

Yo, Lenny! Hook me up! When's your next gig?

pj

Eleuthera on Facebook
©2008 Perry Joseph

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael C. Cordell said...

PJ,

Thanks for stopping by the blog. I've been remiss the last few weeks updating mine (too many other writing projects going on). I'm about halfway through my journal and have a few more adventures to share.

MCC

13:15  
Blogger David Royall said...

This is a great site PJ. I have bookmarked your blog for future reference. You have had a much more complete look at Eleuthera than I did. But I will use your site as a reference during my next trip to the area. Very nice work and terrific photography.

Dave

13:51  
Blogger PJ said...

Hey Dave! Thanks for the kudos and for stopping by. Enjoyed your trip report from Eleuthera and the Abacos (one of my favorite stomping grounds for years.)

Be sure to check out Dave's excellent blog "As I See It" where he details he and his wife's voyage on their vessel Shibumi, and his excellent pics - Dave's Occasional PhotoJournal".

pj

17:26  
Anonymous BlueSkiesCottage said...

Ji PJ,
yes, Lenny is a very friendly guy.
I got in touch with him via Twitter, mentioned that I have a house in Eleuthera and won 2 free tickets for his show in Rome. Unfortunately he had to cancel the concert due to a bout of Laryngitis!!!
Attached is a copy of the message that I will jelously store on my PC.
Roby

--------------------------------
Hi, Eleuthera Cottage .
You have a new direct message:

LennyKravitz: two tickets under "Eleuthera Cottage" at the ticket office for the show in Rome tomorrow for you guys. peace.
Reply on the web at http://twitter.com/direct_messages/create/LennyKravitz
Send me a direct message from your phone: D LENNYKRAVITZ

06:50  
Anonymous Gosia said...

Hi PJ! My name is Gosia, I am from Poland, I just discovered your blog, as I have started to collect some data about Eleuthera island. Maybe in the future I will have a chance to visit this beautiful island. I am wondering if you eventually met Lenny? Do You know where does he exactly live on the island? I had a chance to meet him in front of the hotel in Gdańsk in Poland, and got a picture with him :) He seeems to be a really nice guy.
Take care !
P.S. You make amazing pictures!

10:52  
Blogger PJ said...

Thanks for your compliments for my photos, Gosia! I don't think it would be right to say exactly where Lenny lives. Based on what I have observed, Lenny likes Eleuthera because he can be by himself and create his music. Most everyone on the island seems to respect his privacy and leaves him alone.

15:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home