10.17.2009

Island Music In The Key of Eleuthera :: Dr. Seabreeze

Dr. Seabreeze is yet another reason why Eleuthera is for everyone, especially those who love island music. And Dr. Seabreeze makes Eleuthera proud when it comes to being one of the leading entertainers on the island. Doc plays the real McCoy when it comes to island music: soca!

How "real" you ask? All you have to do is take a cruise through his archives of recorded music and read the names of the tracks: Brown Skinned Gal, Jamaican Farewell, Gin nd Coconut Water, Man Smart/Woman Smarter, and many more.

I had the pleasure of running into the amicable Doctor (real name Cebric Bethel; cousin of Clyde Bethel of famous Island Farm Eleuthera) during a stop at Elvina's. All I can say is what a nice guy! Visiting with the locals from Eleuthera, like Cebric, can make the whole trip worth a million bucks. He was kind enough to grant me an interview and play a few island songs for my microrecorder which I share with you on my Eleuthera website. Click on over and check out the links to my recordings on my Dr. Seabreeze Music and Interview pages.

So if you're looking for the cure for the blues and feeling a hankering for a warm sea breeze, take the trip down to the island -- the Doctor is in! You'll recognize his music... it's done in the key of Eleuthera, the key of freedom.

Love you, Doc!

pj

p.s. Know any other famous local entertainers from Eleuthera (besides Lenny Kravitz, of course)? Leave a comment.

Eleuthera on Facebook
©2009 PerryJoseph.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PJ I just put together my new web site on Eleuthera and Lionfish. I would like to link your blog and maybe you could put a plug in for me too. I especially would like to get the word out about lionfish. Please visit my sites lionfishhunter.com and mojokingdom.com

PJ said...

We can do something with the Lion Fish story... Need to touch base via email to discuss.

pj

Fly Girl said...

I missed Doc Seabreeze when I was in Eleuthera but I did catch a rake and scrape band at Elvina's, which is the authentic Bahamian folk music. Blue was the lead musician and quite a character, all the locals knew him.

Fly Girl said...

PJ, I was on Eleuthera and Harbour Island for 5 days at the beginning of Dec. I love the out islands a lot more than the big ones. I'll be posting more about my Eleuthera and Harbour Island adventures over the next week.

Hotel Chicago said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Valerie said...

I grew up out there....on Spanish Wells...parents built lloyds resort ...now history. Father later before the plane crash built the Cove on Eleuthera with the Thompson brothers. Remember many days at Ridleys head, preachers cave...sir max aiken used to own the Ridleys "head" and house there when we were kids. And did shoot off the cannon! My mother wrote the book "Vodka on My Wheaties" alot in it about life there. Glad u enjoyed the trip! I have gone back and taken the kids and grand kids...love and miss it. Valerie Lloyd